Home Tags Electric Shock on Humans

Tag: Electric Shock on Humans

A burned 220 volt, 30 amp electrical receptacle

Effects of Electric Current on the Human Body

Dear Mr. Electrician:  What happens to the human body when it comes in contact with electricity? Answer:  Below is a chart that was compiled many years ago.  It explains what happens to the human body when receiving electrical shocks of different intensities.  Do not try this yourself or on other people. What Happens When You Touch Electricity Amount of Electrical Current Reaction to the Human Body Below 1 milliampere Generally not perceptible 1 milliampere Faint tingle 5 milliamperes Slight shock felt; not painful but disturbing. Average individual can let go. Strong involuntary reactions can lead to other injuries.  6–25 milliamperes (women) Painful shock, loss of muscular control* 9–30 milliamperes (men) The freezing current or "let-go" range.* Individual cannot let go, but can be thrown away from the circuit if extensor muscles are stimulated. 50–150 milliamperes Extreme pain, respiratory arrest, severe muscular contractions. Death is possible. 1,000–4,300 milliamperes Rhythmic pumping action of the heart ceases. Muscular contraction and nerve damage occur; death likely.  10,000 milliamperes Cardiac arrest, severe burns; death probable.  * If the extensor muscles are excited by the shock, the person may be thrown away from the power source. NOTE: 1000 milliamperes equals one ampere which is approximately the amount of current that flows through a 120 watt light bulb at 120 volts.   Source: W.B. Kouwenhoven, "Human Safety and Electric Shock," Electrical Safety Practices, Monograph, 112, Instrument Society of America, p. 93. November 1968.   You can protect yourself from electrical shock and electrocution by following some common sense guidelines.  When working or playing outdoors and using electricity be sure everything is plugged into GFCI receptacles.  GFCI receptacles and circuit breakers are designed to shut off power if there is a current imbalance of more than 5 milliamperes.  They are designed to save lives. The same applies when working in the garage or basement.  The concrete floor is a very good electrical ground surface.  Always wear shoes when working with electricity on concrete floors. When working on electrical wiring, it is important to shut the power off. Read some of my safety tips here.